Position: Indigenous Health Promoter
Hours: Full time, 35 hours per week (Contract, 6 months with a possible extension)
REACH Community Health Centre is a non-profit, community-governed organization that provides primary health and dental care, health promotion and prevention programs. We are committed to providing inclusive, accessible, and sustainable programs and services to support the physical and mental health and well-being of our community and individuals within it.
The Indigenous Health Promoter will support our work with the Indigenous communities we serve. Your role will be to act as a cultural bridge to support community members in overcoming barriers to accessing care supporting their health and well-being. This could be through a variety of modalities including: short term counseling, implementing culturally appropriate services, program development, and supporting REACH staff to deepen their understanding of culturally sensitive health practices. The IHP will bring their experience working with Indigenous communities in a health or mental health setting. We are seeking an innovator who is able to successfully engage in the community, and work across departments within an inter-disciplinary team to support existing services. Some flexibility in hours may be required (for evening or weekend events). Preference will be given to indigenous applicants and we encourage all those with relevant education and experience to apply.
Highlights of Responsibilities
– Provide individual support and short-term counseling as needed, including referral to REACH services and external community resources.
– Assist clients and their families in navigating health care and/or social services systems
– Advocate for clients in a range of settings with diverse service providers.
Highlights of Skills and Abilities
– Ability to work effectively independently and in an inter-disciplinary team environment.
– Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with individuals, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
– Ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
Send your resume and cover letter to Amanda in HR at email@example.com